Recipe from: Wendy See Wendy Do
Makes 6 muffins
- Pillsbury Simply Rustic French Bread dough
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a small skillet, brown butter over medium-low heat, about 5 minutes. You know the butter is browned when it turns a light caramel color and smells slightly nutty. ((Be careful not to burn the butter!)) Once browned, set the butter aside to cool.
- Remove bread dough from tube and place on a cutting board. Starting in the middle, divide the dough with a small slit. The divide again and again until you have 31 slits. Using a very sharp knife, slice the dough. You should end up with 32 slices. Flatten each slice with you hands or a rolling pin and place on a sheet of parchment or wax paper.
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- To assemble the muffins, brush each dough slice with the brown butter. Then sprinkle with the entire sugar mixture. (Yes, ALL of the cinnamon sugar!) Stack the dough slice on top of each other. (some stacks will have five slices and some will have six.) Using a sharp knife, slice the stacks down the middle.
- Place two of the sliced stacks, side by side, cut side down into a greased muffin tin. Repeat with the rest of the stacks.
- **This step is very important!!** Before you put the muffin tin in the oven place it on a larger, rimmed baking sheet. This will catch any butter/sugar overflow and avoid a very smokey oven.
- Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes until tops are golden brown. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Gently remove. Enjoy!!