Apple Cider Vinegar
This is a great way to detoxify your hair. The acidity of the vinegar is very close to that of natural hair, so it works brilliantly to cleanse and remove buildup. Pour one cup over your hair once a week before shampooing.
Although your head might smell like a bar while you're using this, the proteins found in beer work to smooth the ridged and chipped cuticles of your hair. Once a month, after you've shampooed and conditioned your hair, rinse it again with dark stout beer. Just be sure to rinse well after the final step so you don't smell like a brewery!
Feeling dull? Chamomile tea is a little acidic, so it adds a shine and brightness to your hair without damaging it, as well as relieves any itching you may have! After brewing a cup of tea, put the leftover tea bags and lukewarm water into a spray bottle. Shampoo and condition your hair as normal, then spray on the mixture. Comb it through with a wide-tooth comb and dry your hair in the sun. You can use the mixture once a week without causing any damage.
Want softer, silkier hair? Massage olive oil onto your scalp and down the lengths of your hair, and then wrap your tresses in a warm towel for half an hour. The oil will add moisture to your locks, leaving them smooth and shiny. Just be sure to rinse everything out.
A homemade mask is wonderful for moisturizing and rehydrating your hair. Cut a small pumpkin into quarters (remove the seeds and rind), boil for 20 minutes, then mash. Add a cup of plain yogurt and mix well. Apply to your hair and leave on for 10 to 15 minutes before using shampoo and conditioner as usual.
1/2 cup mayonaise
3-5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (depending on how dry/damaged you hair is)
1. Mix all ingredients together till smooth (if it's chunky it will make it a lot harder to rinse.)
2. Let the mixture sit in you hair for 5-10 minutes.
3. Rinse out & enjoy!
Tips & Tricks
- Apply to freshly shampooed hair.
- When applying this mask, focus on your ends more.
- Do NOT rinse with hot water. Cold or lukewarm or you'll end up with scrambled eggs in your hair (uh yuck!)
- Place a shower cap over your hair for about 5-10 minutes.
- Have some leftovers? Put the extras in the fridge for next time.
- Try to do this mask twice a week if you can
- Want an extra boost? Condition your hair afterwards.