- White cake mix (we used an 18-1/4-ounce box)
- Food coloring (red, blue, green, and yellow)
- Baking cups
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Prepare your favorite white cake mix, then divide the batter evenly among six small bowls. Following the chart below, dye each bowl of batter a rainbow color.
- Line 16 muffin pan wells with baking cups.
- Evenly distribute the purple batter among the cups, then the blue, and so on, following the order shown.
- As you go, gently spread each layer of batter with the back of a spoon to cover the color underneath.
- Bake the cupcakes according to your recipe directions.
- Before serving, remove the paper wrapping, and if you like, top each cupcake with a whipped-cream cloud.
RAINBOW COLOR :: DROPS OF FOOD COLORING
- Purple :: 9 red and 6 blue drops
- Blue :: 12 drops
- Green :: 12 drops
- Yellow :: 12 drops
- Orange :: 12 yellow and 4 red drops
- Red :: 18 drops